Online games are a great way to spend quality time with your child. Not only you share fun but there is a great opportunity to share some learning activities. The most important thing to remember is that your child, infant, toddler or preschooler need his own space and time for each activity.
Here is a small tip for the parents. It would be helpful if you have already played the games and spotted which are more fun for your child, more appropriated for his/her age, and then explain to him/her the rules of the game.
But before letting your children alone on the pc screen here are some advices you should follow first for their protection.
• You should be familiar with game ratings and privacy statements of each game. The computer should be placed in a spot that can be easily monitored by you.
• Setting rules is the most important thing. There must be a limited play time with friends that are also off-line friends.
• Chatting with strangers should not be allowed and personal information (real name, address, etc) and photos should never be shared in the net.
• You should encourage your child to report to you if anybody is trying to get personal information or if somebody is using inappropriate language.
• Use voice chat wisely. If your child is young you should better not used it at all.
• Help your child to choose an appropriate name for his/her game character that should not reveal any personal information.
• Be aware of cyber bullies and learn how to deal with them.
• If your child, for any reason feels uncomfortable with anything during his/her online playing he/she should report it to you immediately.
• Participate to the games. Your child may not be so happy at the beginning, but it is a good way to observe the environment and teach your child how to deal with others online.
As our children are getting older they are going to spend even more time on the computer, doing a school project, or chatting, or playing. So it is important to learn from their early ages how they can protect themselves and feel safe on the internet.