Swimming, bicycling, walking, playing ! Summer is definitely the most wonderful season for all children, but it is also at this period of the year when they are the most exposed to risks. Sun burnings, insects or animals bites are the most common.
All parents know how important it is to use a high SPF sunscreen for their children, and not to expose them to the sun between 11:00 and 15:00. Choosing the correct sunscreen is the first step. It must be dermatological tested for children’s skin, without toxic ingredients, and it should NOT be waterproof. Waterproof sunscreens block the perspiration of the skin and this may cause hyperthermia. At the opposite water resistant sunscreens allow the skin to breath and protect efficiently your child. Your family doctor can recommend you also the correct sunscreen for your child.
Swimming pools can also irritate your child skin because of the presence of chlorine. Finding hotels that use natural antiseptic in their pools instead of chlorine is an ideal choice. But if this is not possible your can use a special lotion to protect your child’s skin from the chemicals.
Stings from insects are an uncomfortable situation. You can avoid them by using natural repellent milks, that respect also your children health. If your child gets bitten by an animal, clean up the wound by using antiseptic and if necessary visit a doctor.
To resume here are a few tips to protect your child and yourself during summer vacations.
- Prefer clothes that protect from the sun (UV Protection Factor or UPF)
- Choose sunglasses with lenses that protect your eyes from UVA and UVB rays.
- Don’t forget to put sunscreen also around your eyes, ears, lips and on your toes.
In case your child gets a sunburn
- A fresh shower is the first thing you should do
- Put cold compress on the sunburn
- Use a lotion with Aloe Vera and without fragrance to refresh the skin
- Give your child a lot of water and liquid.
- If necessary don’t hesitate to contact your doctor.